Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Sweet!

I had one mission today: go get a giant rice crispie square from Cash and Carry. I've always dreamed of things like this. You know, common everyday snacks that come in a gigantic size. The sky is the limit; anything can be mondo-sized these days. I remember recently stumbling across a five-pound gummy bear at Powel's and a picture of a mutant gummy worm in an ad alongside my facebook profile. If you're like me, your heart pounds and your hands become clammy just reading this. Others are indifferent. Their taste for cleverly wrapped candies as an adult has been ruined from an extreme intake of sugar during their childhood. Anyway, this post is for junk food junkies. You know who you are. The ones who ate all the candy in their Easter basket before lunchtime; the ones who go shopping on the day after Halloween to get as many leftover candy corns and fun-sized whatevers they can possibly carry for ten dollars. For us, our eyes become wide and we turn five years old again when stumbling across something as majestic as a gigantic rice crispie square (well, it's more of a rectangle I guess). As I was saying, this was my mission today. So I approached the store, held back by a lethargically automatic sliding door. In the moment I stood there waiting, I noticed that it was in fact an exit door. I immediately thought to myself, "boy, I hope that attractive girl doesn't see me going in the exit." Just then she looked over and I bounced my eyes to the door, now welcoming me (as much as an exit door is able to) into a magical land. All concerns about an attractive girl witnessing me walk through an exit door disappeared. I made a b-line to the holy grail of rice crispie bars on a shelf three rows down. I stood there for a moment to take in this very precious moment. I think back to my days as a child dreaming of a moment like this. I take the marshmallowy block in my hands and prepare to make my purchase. On my way to the register, a lady walked by me pushing a cart full of bulk gatorade and pound after pound of frozen bags. "Oh, sweet!" she remarked. I didn't say much in response, maybe something like, "oh yeah." I'm never prepared for this kind of thing. I make my purchase and make my way out the entrance (I don't know what it is about my disregard for the direction of doors) and to my car. Fun times.

No comments:

Post a Comment