Monday, September 28, 2009

Face masks

I've always thought that face masks were the weirdest things. You know, the ones people sometimes wear during the climax of an epidemic such as swine flu or that one in Asia. I guess they've become quite popular. I've even seen fashion face masks on TV with clever designs like a pig snout or a skull (so it looks like half of your face has been stripped of its flesh). The first time I remember seeing one is when I was in second grade. We always had an assistant teacher helping in the room so we could all have extra one on one attention during work time. One day we were in the computer lab (I think I was drawing a picture with a paint program) and the assistant teacher was wearing one of these absurd masks. I remember thinking that she looked ridiculous and wondering why someone would risk social exclusion just to be healthy. Since then, I've never wanted to wear a mask; they smell funny, and like I said before, look ridiculous. That is, until today. I finally understand why someone would wear a mask. No, I'm not contagious. I actually woke up today and discovered a sky completely blocked out by smoke. Holy cow. I've never seen so much smoke in my life. I heard it either came from Eugene or northern California. Wherever it came from, it stinks, and it actually makes my eyes hurt! Every time I breath it's like eating smoked pork (except without the pork, or course). Even when I'm inside, I feel like I just got back from a bonfire cause my clothes smell like smoke. I hope whatever is happening in Eugene or northern California ends soon. I know I shouldn't be complaining. They have it much worse than I do. What we take from this is a reminder of those who are suffering because of the fires. Keep praying for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment