Wednesday, March 24, 2010

My rock climbing adventure

So I just moved into a new place about a week ago. I am what some people call "the guy on the couch." I'm living with a couple of great guys my age and I love it. My old place was just about the complete opposite, living with a middle-aged couple and I usually went to my room and facebooked at night. I was in a big routine, but now everyday is an adventure. One such adventure I partook in took place at a very cold Smith Rock (my snot was running down my face that morning, but it warmed up). Yes, my roommates are very avid rock-climbers and my initiation was to go climbing with them, which I hesitated with at first, but gave in under pressure. I know nothing about rock-climbing except that you have to grab rocks and pull yourself up and that there are things called carabiners that some people use to attach their water bottle to things so it doesn't get lost. (I don't even really know if you're supposed to hyphenate "Rock-climbing" or not). So I get there to the parking lot overlooking Smith Rock in all it's glory. It was a cold morning so everyone's got their "North Face" vests and other garb of the rock climbing culture, and there I stood with my nike shoes and a jacket I didn't care about getting dirty. I felt very out of place. Well, I was enjoying myself until I started climbing. First, I tried to get these really tight shoes on that are evidently supposed to smash your toes. Well, my toes felt smashed and I stood there staring up at the rock wall with the best poker face I could muster at the moment. I had already felt embarrassed about being so new to the whole thing. When the moment came, I spit in both hands, rubbed them together and jumped onto that dang wall. I hung there on the wall quivering and held on for dear life for about two seconds before I fell right on my keister. I tried a few more times, but didn't get much higher. Defeated, I backed off and followed my buddies to the next face. I actually ended up climbing up to the first bolt on the second face and did OK that day. I also ended up eating all the granola bars we brought and drinking not only my water, but much of everyone else's water too. I also answered my cell phone once which evidently is taboo if you're out in nature with a bunch of hippies around.

No comments:

Post a Comment