Monday, March 29, 2010

Grocery run

I walked to grocery store today. It was a brisk, wet evening; just about 8:00. I walked down there for some pancake syrup and spreadable butter. No, I wasn't about to eat pancakes; I had just had a glorious coldcut sandwich. I just knew I needed them for whenever I would eat pancakes or toast some bread. The only syrup we have is real syrup, not the sugary kind. It's in a glass bottle and everything. I think it was like 10 dollars. It's my roommate's though and I feel bad when I drown my cakes in a bath of his exquisite maple syrup. Freshly spiked from the forests of Vermont. Whenever I think of maple syrup I think of Norman Rockwell paintings. I guess there's something whimsical about walking out into a forest of maple trees and spiking them, then making maple syrup on the stove all day. Although I don't think they do that much anymore. It all goes through a bunch of machines to get the bugs and dirt out of it and add sugar and boil it and everything. I've never been to Vermont, but this is the picture I have of it. A lot like the picture on the state quarter. I'm glad that my home state of North Dakota has wheat and a buffalo on their quarter. I guess that's what we're famous for.

No comments:

Post a Comment