Friday, November 20, 2009

First pear

Ok, for real. Who has eaten a pear before? If your response was no, then you would have answered in precisely the same way I would have three days ago. That's right. You figured it out. I have not eaten a pear in my entire life until exactly a few days ago. Sure I've had those pears in a can at the school cafeteria or in those take-along plastic cups for lunches, which are awesome btw. On a side note, lately I have heard many people around me say that cafeteria food is gross. Far be it for them to say such a thing. Sure they may be saying that now, but just wait until they get their hands on some quadrilateral pizza or a chicken patty sandy or maybe even a well rounded scoop of rice with a buttery tint of yellow. Now that's food. A meal that covers all the necessary food groups. I thrived on caf food (caf is short for cafeteria; I'm not talking about the tasty feline treat). At least a couple times a week, I would sit down with my best high school friends and partake in a meal that filled my soul with joy and applesauce. I even have been known to go back for seconds and thirds of things like applesauce and sliced peaches and pears (Pears: the thing we're really talking about here). But, these cafeteria pears could not prepare me for what I was about to experience in eating a real, off the tree, in a fruit basket in the kitchen, pear. I thought it was going to be like an apple, probably cause it looked like one or looked more like one than any other fruit, but it was not like an apple at all. It was firm, but soft to the touch . It had a weird skin and soft insides. It was very juicy; more than I was prepared for. Overall, I was very satisfied and people made fun of me for never eating a pear before then.

No comments:

Post a Comment