Friday, November 6, 2009

a concert and the Christmas Spirit

I don't want to be perceived as old. I hate to admit it now, but I love to wear earplugs at concerts. I remember as a young juvinile thinking people who wore earplugs to concerts were absurd and old farts. Yet, I have found a distinct joy in doing just that. Whenever I go to a concert now, lo and behold, I am wearing earplugs. Is it just another part of growing old like sluggishness an male pattern baldness? I do not think so. I simply wear them out of a very well thought out choice that I made years ago. I was at a concert and for some reason, I was perturbed by the distortion and loudness that the band thought was so necessary, so I decided to just give in and put in a pair of earplugs. From that night, my night was changed. They help so much. It blocks out all the distortion very well and allows me to hear the music at a more comfortable volume. Amen.

So tonight, heading to a very similar head-banging, knuckle thrashing, mosh pitting noise fest, or concert (sorry that was mean, it was actually enjoyable and brought me back to my own thrashing days), me feeling were no different. My first goal of the night was to acquire said earplugs in whatever means possible. What better place to go then Fred Meyer's? I walk in at a brisk pace with my hands in my jacket pockets. I didn't say to anyone, after all, I was on a very important mission. I was having trouble, so asked an associate where they might be. Slightly puzzled, he said they'd be in the health and beauty section (I guess they were part of the beauty). I was almost to the very aisle where the little foam plugs would be and am stopped in my tracks, for a very colorful, brightly twinkly, Christmas display demanded my full attention. Normally, I would think to myself, "omg, this is way to early for Christmas," but something inside me could not help but be taken in by the beauty of it all. Last year, I decided in a very arrogant stance to resist all things Christmas until after Thanksgiving, when it ought to be advertised. That year, my Christmas did not feel as Christmassy. So this year, partially because Fred Meyers is forcing me to, I am cutting loose and not resisting any of the Christmas Spirit or joy into my heart. I entered into the bubble of joy the surrounded the five or so holiday aisles and was taken to a land of magic...for about five minutes, then I need to get those earplugs! It turned out they weren't in the beauty section (which did not surprise me). I eventually located them in the hardware department.

I got to the concert at a good time; the band I came to see was just starting. They did great and it was fun to watch it with some friends who were also there. Condemns were thrown into the audience and a fight broke out in the middle of their set. All in all, with earplugs equipped and filled with a little more Christmas joy, I had a great time. Let the music roar and the Christmas season commence!

No comments:

Post a Comment